I had taken oatmeal for granted until loads of friends began asking how to cook it ‘from scratch’ – as opposed to the ready-prepped packages with sugar thrown in. Well, here’s how.
- rolled oats, 1/2 cup per person
- salt, pinch of
- milk or water, 3/4 cup per person
- cinnamon, sugar, etc – according to preference
- fruit – berries, bananas, raisins, as desired
- The minimal-mess way to prepare oatmeal, I find, is to bung it in the microwave
- Combine all the ingredients together in a bowl
- Microwave on High for 2 mins 40 seconds if only preparing for one person, and about 3 mins 30 seconds for more people. Watch that it doesn’t spill over 😉
- Remove bowl from microwave and stir a couple of tablespoons of cold milk into oatmeal – this gives it a smooth, creamy texture
- Add other flavourings at this point as desired
- Slice fresh banana or throw a handful of berries over the top
- Drizzle with honey or sprinkle brown sugar over.
- Et voila – a healthy low-glycemic breakfast with fibre that could help lower cholesterol levels!
(All text and photos or images are copyright protected. Please do not reprint any stories, recipes or photographs without the author’s permission.)