Not the tidiest looking of meals but certainly one of the speediest to put together – quicker, even, than a McDonald meal. This protein-packed pita pocket is delicious and will do one a lot more good than a production-line burger.
Falafel is a popular street food which hails from the Middle East. They are deep-fried veggie balls made of fava beans, chick peas (garbanzo beans) or a mixture of both.
- wholegrain pita pockets, 2 (to serve one)
- crisp romaine leaves, handful – torn or chopped
- falafel, 2 or 3 per pocket
- spicy tomato salsa, 1 generous tbsp
- tabasco sauce, a couple of drops
- hummus, 1 1/2-2 tbsp per pocket
- Lightly toast pita pockets or zip in microwave a few seconds to warm them
- Warm the falafels in the oven or microwave for 25-30 seconds on high
- To assemble, spread hummus in a pita pocket, layer romaine on top
- Add some salsa and stuff with falafel
- A couple of dashes of tabasco (if you like the heat) and you’re off!
(All text and photos or images are copyright protected. Please do not reprint any stories, recipes or photographs without the author’s permission.)