It’s hard to not love a holiday that mandates that one drinks four cups of wine over dinner. But, just in case you had a hankering for a cocktail over Passover, here’s a list of grain-free alcohols to work with. (Warning: Do not drink all at once, or together with the four cups of wine)
For the feature cocktail, I picked one with floral notes (with a nod to spring) called the 20K-9 . To make it, you need:
-No. 209 gin, 2 oz
-Ruby Red grapefruit juice, 4 oz
-Cointreau, 1 oz
-French orange flower water, a drop of
Bung and shake in cocktail shaker, and pour over ice (or not). Garnish with sliver of orange peel.
The liquors below don’t contain the BROWS grains (barley, rye, oats, wheat or spelt) that are avoided over Passover. While the strictly observant will be looking also for the kosher for Passover stamp denoted by a “P” – indicating strict rabbinical supervision and the absence of fermented grains – the following liquors are essentially grain-free and possibly helpful for those who follow the spirit of the festival, if not the letter of the law.
L’Chaim! And please walk home safely 🙂
[More posts coming up for Passover in the next days, but if you’re in a rush, please check out my Passover category and click on Older Posts at the bottom, for further recipes.]
- Armagnac – made from grapes
- Bourbon – Makers Mark (corn)
- Brandy – grapes
- Champagne – grapes
- Cider – fermented from apples or other fruits, sometimes with added barley enzymes (check ingredients)
- Cognac – grapes
- Gin – juniper berries – No. 209 kosher for Passover gin (see cocktail above)
- Grappa – grapes
- Kahlua – coffee beans and sugarcane
- Kirschwasser – cherries
- Mead – honey
- Mistico – agave and sugarcane
- Ouzo – grapes and anise
- Rum – sugarcane
- Sake – rice and Koji enzymes (made with barley)
- Tequila – blue agave
- (Potato) Vodka – Blue Ice is a well regarded brand, made in the US from Idaho potatoes
- Wine, port, sherry, sparkling wine, vermouth – grapes
Can’t wait to drink! thanks Bernadette. -David
I am new in passover. But I can’t wait to drink it.
Wishing you a happy Passover.
You can take a look at this passover message: goo.gl/lFsMZ on this celebration .
Very unique one.