Ever since we got rid of our old grill (which traveled all the way here from Canada before sputtering to its expiration) and bought a new one, I’ve had trouble dragging my husband away from it.
Here’s what went on it recently, faithfully and perfectly cooked, thanks to the attention-holding properties of a perfect spring afternoon, a cold beer, and a Weber iPhone app 😉
For the Steak (medium rare):
- NY strip steak (grass fed), 1 1/2 to 2 lb (about 2 inches thick) – from our favorite butcher
- Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper, minced garlic (if you like), and several squirts of Worcestershire sauce
- Leave for at least an hour
- Preheat the grill and put the steak on direct heat, about 6 mins
- On indirect heat (ie away from the lick of flames), cook further for 4-6 mins
- Leave to rest – if you can – for a few minutes, then slice and serve with salad and/or sides
Spring Leaf Salad with Goat Cheese
- In a bowl full of spring-mix lettuce, frisee and spinach, crumble as much goat cheese as you like
- Sprinkle cranberries and sliced, toasted almonds all over
- Add tomatoes
- In a clean jam jar, add a tsp of mustard, 1 tsp minced garlic, juice of a lemon and light olive oil, with a squirt of honey. Shake thoroughly with lid on and season to taste.