One of the appealing things about a meringue, apart from how it miraculously transforms from an unremarkable, gooey liquid into a fluffy, glossy cloud of loveliness, is the fact that you could – just about – throw anything into it and produce a delicious cake. This one has ground almonds and dates in it, crystallized ginger, orange peel, macadamia and walnuts. Perfect for a Passover dessert really, since it’s void of any flour and raising agents. It’s aromatic and its sweet, sticky fruitiness will guarantee its swift disappearance.
- egg whites, 4
- sugar, 1 cup
- orange zest, 1 tsp (or lemon zest)
- ground almonds, 3 tbsp
- dates, 1/2 cup, chopped
- coconut shavings, 3 tbsp (optional)
- crystallized ginger, 2/3 cup
- orange peel, 1/4 cup
- macadamia and walnuts, to total 1 cup
- Whisk the egg whites till they’re fluffy and almost stiff
- Add the zest, then sugar, a few tablespoons at a time and continue whisking
- Using a spatula, fold in all the rest of the ingredients
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven for about 30-35 mins
- Remove, cool, slice and be transported to heaven!
(All text and photos or images are copyright protected. Please do not reprint any stories, recipes or photographs without the author’s permission.)