I apologise for my silence up until that fig and mango salad – it was easier setting up a few recipes to go out during our visit to New York than it has been attempting to update my blog while juggling work, a holiday-neglected house and an impending move to the neighbouring country.
As a peace offering (ie bribe), here’s a sweet treat that won’t take too long to put together.
- Blackberries (or any berry)
- Sour cream, 150 ml (2/3 cup)
- Cream cheese, 250g (one slab)
- Sugar, 4 tbsp
- Shortcrust pastry (readymade will do)
- Eggs, 2 large
- Lime, rind of
- Vanilla extract, 1 1/2 tsp (or scrape seeds off a vanilla bean)
- Plain flour, 2 tbsp
- In a blender, mix sour cream and cream cheese till smooth
- Add vanilla, sugar, lime rind
- Add flour, blend, add egg
- Add the fruit and stir with spatula by hand till just blended
- Prepare tart shells – roll out pastry, cut out rounds and place in empty tart shells
- Pour the cream and fruit mixture into the tart shells
- Bake in middle of preheated 190C oven for about 18-20 mins.
- Filling should be just set and the pastry golden brown
- This amount of cream filling should make 24 medium sized tarts.